The National Commission for Energy Efficiency (CONUEE) is a descentralized administrative agency of the Secretary of Energy, with technical and operative autonomy. It aims to promote energy efficiency and establish itself as a technical body, in terms of sustainable use of energy.
CONUEE was created from the entry into force of the Law for Sustainable Use of Energy, published on November 28, 2008, which states that all human and material resources of the National Commission for Energy Saving (CONAE) shall be allocated to this new Commission
Sustainable Use of Energy, is the optimal use of energy in all processes and activities for exploitation, production, processing, distribution and consumption, including energy efficiency.
Within the current framework, energy efficiency means all actions leading to an economically viable reduction of the quantity of energy required to satisfy energy needs of the services and goods demanded by society, ensuring an equal or higher quality level, as well as a decrease in the negative environmental impacts resulting from the generation, distribution and consumption of energy. This includes the replacement of non-renewable sources for renewable sources.
CONUEE’s responsibilities are:
In terms of Regulations:
1. Implement the registration of users who have obtained the certificate of a person or institution responsible for energy;
2. Binding opinions to the agencies of the Public Federal Administration, in relation to best practices for sustainable use of energy;
3. Issue recommendations to states, municipalities and individuals; in relation to best practices for sustainable use of energy;
4. Develop a program for individuals seeking to promote the implementation of certification processes, products and services, and monitoring the implementation of voluntary processes that they develop in order to improve their energy efficiency;
5. Order verification visits, request the submission of information as well as of personnel carrying out activities related to sustainable use of energy, to supervise and monitor, the fulfilment of applicable legal provisions.
In terms of Public Policies for Sustainable Use of Energy:
1. Facilitate the optimal use of energy from their exploitation to its consumption;
2. Develop and issue methodologies for the quantification of greenhouse gas emissions by the exploitation, production, processing, distribution and consumption of energy as well as emissions avoided, due to the inclusion of actions for the sustainable use of energy;
3. Develop and issue methodologies and procedures for quantifying the use of energy and determine the economic value of consumption and the avoided processes arising from the use of sustainable energy.
In terms of the Promotion and Dissemination:
1. Prepare and publish books, catalogs, manuals, articles and technical reports on the work undertaken by the Commission;
2. Disseminate in scientific publications, results of studies and projects that promote sustainable use of energy;
3. Provide technical assistance on sustainable use of energy to the agencies of the Federal Public Administration, as well as to state governments and municipalities that request it, and the signing of agreements to that effect;
4. Participate in the dissemination of information between government and social sectors.
In terms of Information and Evaluation:
1. Implement the National Information Subsystem for the Sustainable Use of Energy;
2. Implement and update information about Funds and Trust Funds aimed at sustainable use of energy and that have been constituted by the Federal government, receiving federal resources or where the Federal goverment offers guarantees.
Fecha de actualización de información: 25/04/12 16:14:48 Autor: Alejandro Estrada